Series is a monthlong collaborative pop-up space featuring a curated program of designer talks, workshops and products. Young & Able will partner up with sponsors to find and present some of the best emerging fashion, home, art, and lifestyle brands to the NYC community.
Our mission is to create a collaborative space that facilitates conversations and creates connections between designers and individuals within creative industries. We encourage new and emerging makers, innovators and artists to come share your work with us.
Thank you for your interest in participating in the Holiday 2014 Young & Able Series. Please read the info below before applying. The application that follows is for independent makers only. Those looking to get involved in another capacity (such as sponsorships) should click here.
IMPORTANT DATES & DETAILS
- Dates & Times // November 21 to December 21, 2014: Open 11am-8pm Everyday (subject to change based on events)
- Location // Nolita: 345 Broome Street, New York NY 10013
- Applications Open // June 11 to July 15, 2014
- Application Notices // By July 19, 2014
- Payment Due // By July 25, 2014 (late payment will result in Young & Able’s right to terminate your contract and participation in the shop.)
- Vendor Contract Agreement Due // By July 25, 2014
- After notification of acceptance into the shop, we will require ALL product details/descriptions and your designer/maker bio // By October 1, 2014
- All products should arrive (the vendor is responsible for delivery and all shipping costs) // By October 27, 2014
- All product photos (except for clothing) with dimensions of 1200w x 1800h, 300dpi in JPEG format should be submitted to Young & Able via dropbox (info(at)shopyoungandable.com) // By October 1, 2014
- All unsold merchandise will be scheduled to return // By January 15, 2015
QUALIFICATIONS & CRITERIA
Because we receive many more applications than we can accept, and to keep the items offered in the shop within our quality standards, every brand will be reviewed by members of our staff. We review everyone’s complete application and then make our choice based on several factors.
These are the primary things we look for in our application submissions:
- Your products fit in within our vision of high-quality, well-crafted goods. Meaning, they are innovative and original items produced using traditional craft methods but not based on any pre-existing patterns or products. We like to support brands that believe in sustainability, helping their communities and are upfront with transparency in their production.
- Your work overall is cohesive and consistent.
- Your items can be made by hand locally or outsourced and manufactured somewhere else, as long as you are honest about your production process.
- Your items are artfully and professionally represented in your photos/on your website. Young & Able reserves the right to use your product and promotional photos.
- You are able to provide enough inventory for selected products upfront throughout the one month duration of the pop-up shop. You will handle delivery of all stock to Young & Able and will restock in a timely manner upon selling out of your product.
- Your work is well-differentiated and unique from that of other artists participating in the shop.
- You offer a well-diversified product line. We seek makers offering a well-cultivated line of goods, or specializing in one type of product but in a variety of styles and color ways.
FEES & ALLOWANCES
HOW MUCH DOES IT COST TO PARTICIPATE IN THE SHOP?
We offer a variety of pricing options for designers, artists, and craftspeople. The fees below are based on a monthlong event where Young & Able will handle all transactions. Vendors will receive 60% of sales and Young & Able will take 40% of sales.
WHAT DOES THE FEE COVER?
First and foremost, your fee covers Young & Able’s ability to provide the retail space in a fantastic Nolita location with high foot traffic + the required commercial space insurance and security for the space itself. In addition, everyone will receive an icon + link on a page with all featured products from the shop on our website through the end of the year. Select artists will also be featured on our blog and via our various social networking sites leading up to and during the shop.
We will release a press release about the event including your brand name, which will reach relevant culture, event and news blogs, sites and publications. As a result, your brand may receive coverage in print or online media.
We will advertise and promote the shop itself, which will draw tons of traffic over the course of a month and new customers who will see your work in person. This often turns into other opportunities, including future sales, wholesale opportunities, media exposure, networking, and more.
Note: We will design our own displays in-shop, but vendors may supply their own display items for approval if available.
ACCEPTANCES & CANCELLATIONS
HOW DO I SUBMIT MY APPLICATION PAYMENT?
You will be e-mailed and prompted to pay the fee once you are chosen to participate. All fees must be submitted via PayPal, we do not accept personal checks or credit cards over the telephone. You do not need a PayPal account to submit your fee. As long as you have a debit or credit card, submitting payment via PayPal is easy. If you have any specific questions about PayPal processing or your existing PayPal account, please visit the PayPal Help Page.
HOW AND WHEN WILL I KNOW IF I AM ACCEPTED?
You’ll be notified by email by July 18th as to whether or not you’ve been accepted into the shop. Unfortunately, at this time we cannot guarantee individual feedback to all non-approved applicants, due to volume.
IF I’M ACCEPTED, WHAT IS YOUR CANCELLATION POLICY?
Once you have been accepted, have signed the vendor agreement contract and have paid your vendor fee for the shop, you may cancel up to two months before the opening date for a 50% refund of your vendor fee. Unfortunately we cannot offer refunds within two months of the date of the shop due to the administrative work already done by this time. Once you cancel, you forfeit your spot in the shop.
TERMS & CONDITIONS
Please note that Young & Able will not be responsible for theft and will not cover the cost of any stolen products from the shop. However, we will be providing extra precautionary security measures with surveillance cameras and a security guard on the premises.
All accepted vendors will be added to our mailing list, so that we may send important correspondence to you via eblast. Those wishing to be removed should do so themselves once the event is over.
Young & Able will create an icon for each accepted vendor for display on our website page for the event, using an image of our choosing from the accepted vendor’s website. Please contact us at info(at)shopyoungandable.com with any questions or to submit your preferred image.
A P P L Y N O W
Application submissions are now closed for Series 2014.
If you have already applied, we will notify you by July 18th.