Ann Yee's SS 14 collection features two print pieces we love, the Tillman Jacket and Sibley Shorts. Take a closer look at the fabric and you'll see that the geometric grid print consists of photos of Detroit, where Ann originally hails from.
Below, see a series of photos taken by Ann's cousin, Joe Seto and brother, Jay Yee that became the inspiration for both pieces. Read on for a bit of Detroit history:
Graffiti on the Metropolitan Building
The Metropolitan Building in downtown Detroit, the old hub of the city's jewelry retailers has stood empty since the 1970s. Since then, nearly every window in the 15-story building has served as the canvas for graffiti artists.
Grafitti on the Wurlitzer Building
The Wurlitzer Building was once filled with music, home to one of the largest music stores in the world – and helped thrill thousands of theater-going Detroiters.
Store at Eastern Market
At the heart of Eastern Market is a vibrant, six-block public market that has been feeding Detroit since 1891. People flock to Eastern Market for its Saturday Market to enjoy one of the most authentic urban adventures in the United States.
Salvaged Landscape - Art Installation by Cathlyn Newell
Framed by the setting and pace of demolition, Salvaged Landscape appropriates the charred wood from an arsoned house to create spatial adjustments which uncover the material qualities reliant on flame to exist. Amidst a purposeful tear-down, the project responds to the new textures, spaces, and light effects that resulted both from the fire and demolition.
"Hitsville USA" is the nickname given to Motown's first headquarters. It was purchased by Motown founder Berry Gordy in 1959. It was converted into both the record label's administrative building and recording studio, which was open 22 hours a day at it's peak.
An abandoned home on Fenway Park St near Hitsville USA
Graffiti by Hygienic Dress League on the Hotel Eddystone
Detroit street artists Steve and Dorota Coy, otherwise known as Hygienic Dress League, have been plastering their distinct images across Detroit since 2008.
Michigan Central Station opened in 1913 and was the tallest rail station in the world at that time. In the 1940s, more than four thousand passengers a day used the station and more than three thousand people worked in its office tower. Among those who arrived at MCS were Presidents Herbert Hoover, Harry S. Truman and Franklin D. Roosevelt, actor Charlie Chaplin and inventor Thomas Edison. The station closed in 1988 and has since become a U.S. national historic landmark.
An Abandoned Home Near Central Station
The African Bead Museum
The African Bead Museum is filled with sculptures, textiles, pottery, and bead works dating back hundreds of years, from countless cultures throughout Africa.
Shop Ann Yee's SS 14 collection here